The most common type of funeral service is an evening visitation and funeral service the next day. Families find great comfort in the support that comes from friends, during the visitation and funeral.
A commonly called traditional funeral service has a standard format that can include:
- Visitation: Some call this a viewing or a wake. This is when guests come to pay their respects and spend time in quiet conversation with the grieving family. A visitation can occur at any time before the funeral (days before or on the day of the service).
- Funeral Service: This service can take place at our funeral home, a church, or at the graveside. It usually incorporates the traditional elements of music, the reading of select literary or religious passages, the presentation of a eulogy, prayer, and the singing of hymns.
- Committal Service: If the family plans to bury the deceased, then this third element can involve the procession of the hearse that bears the casketed remains of the deceased followed by the vehicles of the family and guests.
- Funeral Reception: Traditionally held in the family home or favorite reception center or public venue. This is considered a time to nourish the body with good food, and nourish the spirit and ease the heart by sharing memories, laughter and mutual support.
A funeral service, whether traditional or a celebration of life (contemporary), has two primary functions: to publicly acknowledge the death and lifetime achievements of an individual and to bring grieving family members and friends together in support of another during this difficult time of transition. While the event also involves the final care of the physical remains of the deceased through burial or post-funeral cremation, the service helps grieving friends and family members through with social support.
Our Traditional Funeral Service Includes:
- Professional Service
- Transfer to Funeral Home
- Other Preparation
- Evening Visitation/Viewing
- Memorial Service (for Cremation)
- Ceremony at AMG Funeral Home or Church
- Graveside Committal
- Memorial Package
- Casket (for Burial)
- Vault (for Burial)
- Crematory Fee (for Cremation)
- Cremation Casket/Container (for Cremation)
- Choice of Personalized Urn (for Cremation
We also offer:
- Single Day Services (Burial or Cremation)
- Funeral Service Only (No Visitation)
- Immediate Burial Services
- Immediate Cremation Services